Monday, May 19, 2014

May 19th: Parenting Class

Tonight Katherine's school hosted a parenting seminar.

Ok. First I'll say I know I'm not a perfect parent. By no means do I get it right all of the time. Heck. Half the time I think for every dollar that goes towards her future education we should be doubling the savings for therapy.

Tonight the lesson was about using positive words to encourage the behavior you want. ie you shouldn't say things like "if you don't stop X I'm gonna Y!!!"  We should say, "if you do A then you will be able to B!" It sounds easy... But seriously it's kinda hard. Threats are sooooo much easier to think of! Now instead of reacting I must try responding. Interesting... Very interesting. She says this concept works in husbands too. Hmmmmm. Curiouser and curiouser.

At dinner k asked what our lesson was about. I told her they said if we say the right things to her she will listen better. It went like this:

K: what did they teach you tonight?
Me: they told us that if we use the right words you will listen to what we tell you and we won't have to fight so much.
K: they're right.
Me: (thinking... Whoa!!! Is it already happening?! Seriously?! I'm bringing this lady home!!!) *out loud* oh really?! How do you think...
K: well if you say you'll buy me toys, ice cream, books and stuff I'll listen to you.

Epic fail.

I'm not giving up. I was told tonight I have the power to change things. Tomorrow craps gettin real in this house!! #powertothemama

No comments: