Saturday, February 4, 2012

You run. You eat. You run. You try not to hurl.

At the finish line with K:
GAME FACE! ;)
This was my second time running this race. Third time registered... but only the 2nd time I've run in it. (Last year it was pouring rain and I'll admit, I wimped out.)

I love this race for so many reasons. The energy. The craziness. The sweet carbs in the middle. The outfits. The fans. I could go on. The one thing that makes this race interesting... Seeing how many people hurl on the way back. This year had WAY more than my first year.

The race goes like this... Run 2.5miles from the NCSU bell tower to the downtown Krispy Kreme. Consume donuts. Run 2.5 miles back to the bell tower. There are two types of people that enter this race. (no, I'm not referring to crazy & college student.) Competitors & Casual Runners. Competitors must eat the full dozen donuts provided. They must show their empty box to the race officials as they go through the competitor chute. Casual Runners do not need to eat the full dozen. They can eat as many, or as few, as they desire. I'm of the Casual Runner group. While a dozen hot donuts might go down without an issue. A dozen cold donuts. Not so much. Although two still go down without needing to come up for air. Don't judge.

The course is hilly. There seem to be far more UP hills then down hills. I know the ups should match with downs, but I don't know... Sure doesn't seem that way.

I ran the first 2.5 miles at a decent pace. Grabbed my dozen and headed to find a place to consume the carb goodness. At that point I met up with a couple of friends. We ate. We took pictures. We admired one of the friends (MB) for consuming her full dozen. Impressive. There was glaze everywhere. And she was smiling. I convinced (KM) to run back carrying the rest of his donuts. We did. I believe about a mile back he started telling me how bad of an idea it was to run & carry them. Kudos though... He made it to the end.

Just as we were getting to the finish line (a few hundred yards away) I saw Stephen & Katherine. I grabbed her and she and I ran with KM to the finish line. She giggled the whole way! It was awesome!! Of course we had to dodge quite a few piles of donuts... not in the round sugar coated variety. More in the post consumption & revisited variety. Oh yeah. Good times. I nearly lost my own donuts as we tip-toed through the mess, but I managed to get through it. Thankfully.

Highlights of the race:

  • Favorite Quote
    • At .75mi of the 5mi race the girl beside me starts yelling... "Where is the water station?! I need a gel!!!" 
  • Favorite Sign
    • "Don't puke. HURL those donuts."
  • Favorite Costume/s
    • The Syracuse super-heros. (I have nothing more to say about that.)
  • Scariest Moment
    • A guy beside me, on the return, turning a little green. I yelled, "DO NOT HURL THOSE DONUTS!!!! And if you must: MOVE!!!" He laughed. I was very concerned I'd be caught in the wind and end up with 2nd time around donuts. 
  • Favorite moment
    • Crossing the finish line with my best girl hand-in-hand
PS: I can't wait to do it again next year. =) 

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Customize a picture slideshow

No comments: