Sunday, February 12, 2012

Painting, Peffie & Play-doh

The P's continue. Unintentionally I assure you.

On Friday evening I had a "mom's night out". We went for wine and painting at a local studio. First thing I learned... I seriously need lines and numbers.  As in paint by numbers. Wo-ow. It was great fun although it taught me that my creative side is limited. I'm an in the lines kind of girl. Creative shmative. Tell me a rule and I'll follow it. Tell me to paint "whispy" or "let it flow" and I'm looking around and watching others to mimic technique. Here's hoping Katherine is far more "right-brained" than I. (I took a test tonight just to see how left/right brained I am. I'm 80% left brained. Stephen on the other hand: 75% right brained.) ~ I learned tonight that you can think in pictures. Seriously?! Pictures???? I can't comprehend such a world.

My version of Van Gogh's "Peach Tree"
His was better. 

Saturday morning Katherine and I had our 2nd cooking class.  This time "cooking" was making some fun  chocolate lollypops and (non-edible) play-doh. The lollypop making was a huge success... And they taught me something! We've made candy before at home and I couldn't figure out how to get different colors in the candy without making a total mess. I've looked for the little candy brushes that they talk about on the bags of candy chips and I've not been able to find them. What do they give 3 year olds? Paint brushes!!! DUH!!! Why didn't I think of that?! That's why they make the big bucks. (Literally... big bucks.)

Candy making with an attitude

The play-doh was creatively made with cinnamon, apple sauce and glue.  Of course it was repeated (many) time that even though it was made with cinnamon and apple sauce that it was non-edible. Talk about tempting fate with such a wonderful smelling thing to play with?! The look of "brown" play-doh however kept Katherine from putting in her pie-hole. ;)

After cooking class Katherine wanted to go "have coffee" with me at Starbucks. This means she has either hot hot chocolate or cold hot chocolate and I have a latte. Katherine selected cold hot chocolate (you may refer to this as chocolate milk...) and we sat at a little bar and watched the people outside walking by. We talked about school, life (as a three year old) and her favorite "jobs" at school. It was awesome!!

Enjoying her "cold hot chocolate"

After "coffee" we did a little shopping in Target. She wanted to "walk around". Never a good thing for me. I generally end up getting sucked into something that I didn't plan on. She's so stinkin' irresistible sometimes!! Especially after our "coffee time". So. She got a new Hurricane's sweatshirt and a new NC State t-shirt. Gotta support Red. ;)

After that we headed home to get Stephen.  He'd had an "oyster morning" (as in - the world is his oyster) while we ladies were out doing girly stuff. Katherine decided that she wanted to go out for lunch and given we were having so much fun and we were planning to go out to get her new pet fish I thought it was a grand idea. We went to Moe's for lunch. She had a "grown-up quesadilla". This consists of including chicken - not just cheese in her quesadilla.

We then went for the big event. BIG I tell you. The pet store. For Katherine's first pet. Last week we worked towards getting a pet fish. Katherine needed to get 30 chores completed on her chore chart AND get dressed every day "without giving mommy a hard time". We had a break down the previous Friday and it was determined that she lost the opportunity to get a fish as a result. Circles re-set on Sunday and we started the effort again. She achieved 30 circles on Friday morning AND got dressed every day without "giving mommy a hard time". < big big big deal for me!!!

Earlier in the day Katherine told me she'd picked out a name for her fish. It's name would be "Peffie" or Pefi. Either way... you get the idea.

Which fish?? Hmmmm. 

We decided to get a betta fish as the guy in the pet store said they were super easy.

Crazy happy with Peffie =)

Well... 30 hours later I'm going to be engaging in the 14-day return policy and hopefully getting Peffie's cousin. *sigh* Looking at the picture above it just breaks my heart that the fish had the nerve to do what he did. Stephen didn't even clean the tank with soap!!! (The task that as a child sent his pet fish to an early demise... He's still teased about the event.)

Saturday evening we started, and finished, all of Katherine's valentine's for school. She tried to write her name. I feel this is all my fault that she can't write her name. I should have insisted on a short name. Bob. Better. A letter. Or a symbol. Perhaps a circle. She'd be able to write her name already. She can write "dad" but she can't manage Katherine. <<<----- sooooo many letters!!! And E's... ridiculous. Alas, we tried. I attempted to make dots for her to trace. We tried just doing KK... At the end we were losing the "fun" part and I bailed. I finished writing the rest. She wanted to move onto stickers. I wasn't arguing.

Sunday we spent the morning hanging out at home and finishing up in our old office. We've even gotten the treadmill back together. Big news in the Aleksza house! I can't wait to jump on it! Annnnd... It's not over the family room anymore! It's over the garage so *hopefully* it won't sound like a heard of elephants running anymore as you watch TV. (This is what my darling husband would tell me as I ran... Evidently I shook the house. Whatever.)

Hope you all have a great week ahead! xo

Darlene

My art effort... Captured via pictures...

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Picture slideshow personalized with Smilebox


Cooking Class

Click to play this Smilebox photo album
Create your own photo album - Powered by Smilebox
Photo album generated with Smilebox



No comments: