Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011

What a year.

I've looked back on this year multiple times over the last 30 days. The reflection that affected me the most was the year in photographs. There have been many ups and downs over the last 12 months. There have been many tears, near anxiety attacks, stress beyond what I've experienced before and yet so many smiles, laughs and wonderful memories made too.

Would I have been grateful to have had a year where we didn't have multiple car accidents, a tornado, multiple SC home repairs, two days of being unable to walk without (literally) falling over? Sure. But I'm also okay with them happening because I believe that it's made me a better person. A stronger person. Or at least that's my hope. It would have been easy to have been sucked into some "whoa is me..." but I didn't want that to happen. After each event that took place I had something to be grateful for. The most important thing being that my family was safe and unharmed.

We're so grateful for our friends and family that have provided us shoulders to lean on. Our Raleigh friends and family... I'm not sure how I would have made it through the year, without having a mental breakdown, without you.

We had some pretty awesome things take place this year too:

  • We were able to visit every immediate family member at least twice over the course of year. While I know everyone would like the visits to be longer, being able to make the rounds twice was great for us and Katherine. 
  • We had two visits this year from out of state family. Both were fantastic weekends. Thanks Jacki, Ro & Jay for making the trip up/down. 
  • We had one of the most amazing vacations of my life when we visited Williamsburg in April. It's such a relaxing trip and yet so fun. 
  • I gained a sister when my brother Jason married his wonderful fiancee, Amy. We're so glad you're a part of our family! We love you! xo
  • My sister Jacki graduated with her bachelors degree in finance. We're so proud of you!! xo
  • My sister Nicole continued her education for her Masters degree and was just accepted at NC State. She'll be moving to Raleigh in the next few months. We can't wait!! xo
  • We had a wonderful family reunion with the Robinson/Cooper clan in Maryland this August. It's an honor to be able to help carry on the family tradition of getting everyone together. To be part of a family where more than 100 of my cousins, aunts and uncles make an effort to get together every year is a special gift in itself. We love seeing everyone. Thank you all!
  • While the tornado was devastating it helped us grow closer as a neighborhood. I'm so grateful for that. 
  • During the repair period for our house we worked with a restoration company that helped put our house back together so well that I think it's better than before the tornado. Thank you Carolina Restoration. Particularly Travis, Jason, Charlie and Ross.  You guys are awesome. 
  • We started so many new traditions with Katherine this year. I look forward to continuing them as she grows up... Which seems to be happening faster than I'd like it to. 
There were many other events that took place this year that I could add to the list. It could go on forever.  Instead I'll leave you with my 2011 year in review... In pictures. It's long. I looked through 7,903 pictures that I took this year. If that doesn't say how incredible the year has been... Nothing does. =)

We wish you all much happiness, health and a year filled with blessings in 2012. 

Much love,
Darlene, Stephen & Katherine

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Free slideshow customized with Smilebox

No comments: