Friday, May 29, 2009

We love our heroes!


Last weekend was a busy weekend in the Aleksza house!

Saturday morning Katherine and I went to our first Mommy & Me class at the pool. Katherine loves the pool. It's a huge bathtub to her. Splashing is a-okay! She even jumped in! Okay. Maybe she didn't "jump" but her head did go under water! Don't call child services on me! The instructor said it was fine. She was under for about 1/4 of a second! What did she do?? She came up and did something like this "pfew pfew pfew... {clap, clap, clap}" I took that as a good sign. She then clapped as each of the other kids jumped in. Katherine is by far the youngest one in the class.

All in all the class went really well. The only hiccup occurred when the instructor had babies (kids) on their bellies attempting to kick their way to their way to the other end of the pool. The "deep" section of the pool is 4'6". No big deal you say, eh? Remember I'm 5'3" (minus 4"). 4'6" is a non-starter for holding a baby at my side. She was more like at my HEAD! The instructor finally noticed we had stopped and said - "ooops, we need to go back a bit, some mommies can't go that far." Nice. Very nice.

Saturday afternoon we went to a "Taste of Wake Forest". Generally, "Tastes of..." involve food, vendors, some wine, etc. Apparently Wake Forest tastes like hot dogs. That was the only food at the "Taste of Wake Forest". The best part was there were tickets that you had to buy in order to "buy" a hot dog. You couldn't just give them your $2 for a hot dog... Nooooooo, you needed to buy a ticket (2ft away from where the hot dogs were being prepared & made). Seriously. No joke. There was a high school band playing that was pretty good. The conductor thought he was at the Philharmonic. We don't know whether he knew he could be heard through the microphone or whether he wanted to be. Unique is how we'll describe him.

Sunday we went out for breakfast at the farmer's market. For those that recall my life/sleeping habits pre-baby what I'm about to tell you will shock you. Are you ready?? Sit down. I don't want you to get hurt - Here we go... We were eating breakfast, at a table, by 9am. Go ahead. Pick yourselves up off the floor. I know. Before baby I didn't know 9 came in the variety of AM. Amazing what this kid thing does to ya. Something I learned over the last two weeks: Katherine & Daddy share their eating habits. Both think that what's on Mommy's plate is up for grabs and often tastes better than what's on their plate. Katherine had a whole mickey mouse pancake. What did she eat? My french toast. What's up with that?? And of course I can't tell her no, eat your own food. She just looks at you with those big blue eyes and opens her mouth wide and goes aaaahhhh and you fork over your food. And another thing... I'll just tell ya - baby slobber does not phase me in the least. Honestly, I used to think it was kinda gross. Now? Whatever. Bring it on.

Sunday evening we went to our friends house for a barbecue. I think Katherine and their daughter had a good time playing. Katherine didn’t understand marbles weren’t for eating and I had a small panic attack trying to get it out of her mouth but otherwise all went great! Yummy food, even better company… Excellent evening! Katherine even went outside to play on the swings. Her first time on a swing!! Weeeeee!!! She was terrified. Shaking the whole time. Not so much a weee… but an eeeeeekkkkk. She enjoyed watching our daughter’s friend swing but she wasn’t into doing it herself. We also went down the slide on probably the coolest playhouse ever. Mommy forgot how to slow down going down a slide and I hit the ground at the end of the slide. We went WHOOOSH down the slide. Katherine wasn’t scared but she wasn’t excited either. Mommy was a bit scared after the first WHOOOSH but then the 3 yr old taught me how to slow down going down the slide. Yeah. I needed a refresher course.

The most amusing thing that I learned that evening is that Katherine is NOT a fan of grass . No ma’am. I sat her on the cushiest grass in Raleigh (our friend’s lawn) and she lifted her legs up and held onto her feet, with her hands, because she was trying not to touch it. When she did that she’d fall back, then try to flip over without touching the grass. All quite a sight. I’ll admit it had me in a fit of giggles at one point. So there daddy… We don’t need sod now. Katherine doesn’t like grass. No need to spend that money now!
Monday we decided Katherine needed some education so we took her downtown to the Memorial Day event. A Commandant introduced another gentleman (sorry – I missed the rank & name) who gave a very moving speech. Katherine clapped at the appropriate times and occasionally let out a yelp – although I’m not sure all of those were well timed. I was impressed that she didn’t flip out when the guns went off. Three times. She did jump each time but immediately after she’d go back to playing. I don’t think she was AS moved by the speech as we were. The pictures posted this week are from said event.

Instead of barbecuing that night we cheated and went to 5 Guys. We had burgers so we thought it might count. Yeah yeah, I know – we cheated. We’ll do better on the 4th. Promise. (Maybe.)

Now off for another fun-filled weekend. Tomorrow Katherine is going to go to her second Durham Bulls (baseball) game. She went to her first one last summer. I don’t know that she ever saw the field, but she did like it. Lolly and Daddy gave her ice cream. Yeesh. What will they feed her tomorrow?? I’m thinking (hoping) funnel cake! She can’t eat the whole thing, right? Mommy can help her then. :)

Pictures from our Memorial Day festivities: (I’m trying some new software this time – the old site was going to start costing money b/c we had so many pictures… Let me know what you think of this one… unless you don’t like it – then zip it. :)

Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook: Memorial Day 2009
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

1 comment:

Jacki said...

hehe mommy's too small for the shallow end =)
i can't steal any of the pics for my desktop =(