Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Four Shots of Giggle Juice

Enjoying some FroYo at the Frog :)
I forgot to mention in the last blog that Katherine also had her 4y/o check up. She was pretty excited on Tuesday morning when I told her we were going to see Dr. H. In fact, so much so that when she got to school she ran in to tell her teachers how she was going for a check up later that day to see how she was growing.

I didn't mention shots.

Her friends did.

When I picked her up from school the conversation when something like this...

K: Mommy, am I going to get shots today?
Me: I don't know honey. (I really didn't.) Why do you ask? Who told you you were going to get shots?
K: My friends.
Me: Which friends?
K: The friends that are 4.
Me: Oh.

When we got to the doctors office she was so enamored with the fish tank (LOOK MOMMY SHARK BAIT OH LA LA IS IN THERE!!!) that she forgot about the shots. I didn't. This was the first time I was going to the pediatrician sans Stephen with me and I'm the mom who cries when she gets a needle.

I filled out all of the paperwork and back we went.  She started out with a vision test that she did great on.  Then we went to the height & weight check.  She's now 31lbs and is 39.25" tall.  (It's not lost on me that she's a mere 20" shorter than I am. At four. That puts her in the 50% percentile for height and the 25th percentile for weight. "Tall and skinny like we like it!" ~ Says Dr. H.

When we went back to the exam room the nurse asked if I had any concerns.  I mentioned her snoring (seriously for something so little the snores are unbelievable) and the fact that I was worried she might have a hearing issue.  As for the snoring... her tonsils are huge and the doc said she might need to have them removed at some point. For now, if we can deal with the snoring, she can. Don't fret.  Her hearing... I struggle between wondering if she can't hear OR if she's just ignoring me.  After a hearing test it was determined (by the nurse AND Dr. H.) that she's ignoring me. The good news is she has no medical issue. The bad news is... I have a parental issue.  She even proceeded to tell Dr. H sometimes she just doesn't listen to me.

Then the moment came... I think she was more afraid of the fact that Dr. H laid her down and said to me "hold her down. Hold her hands. Hold her TIGHT. Do not let go." She started crying then. Heck, I think I started crying then. He was done in under a minute and she was up in my arms. Dr. H gave her a Strawberry Shortcake sticker for doing so well with her shots. She smiled. And then cried again.

We talked about how we were going to meet Aunt Nikki for dinner to celebrate her check up. She calmed down and we sent Aunt Nikki a video text telling her we'd see her soon.

Then she stood up.  Apparently Dr. H injected 4 shots of giggle juice into Katherine's legs. Or at least that's what she told me. From that point on when she walked she giggled.  And walked bo-legged... Because of the giggle juice in her legs. When asked what it felt like she said "It feels like my legs are giggling mommy!!!" Mmmkay. Whatever you say babe.

The good news is she doesn't hold a grudge. She still thinks Dr. H is awesome and that the giggle juice shots, while they pinched, weren't so bad. After all... they made her giggle for days!  :)

No comments: