Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I love Williamsburg!

There was a time in my life that I would have promised you I'd NEVER utter those words. They were somewhere around ages 8-12. Don't get me wrong, I loved going on vacation with my Aunt, Uncle, cousins and Grandparents... but Williamsburg wasn't the "vacation destination" of a child's dream. Or so I thought. Or so I tell Katherine. :)

This is our third year visiting Williamsburg and each year it's been a fantastic vacation. We have loose plans, but nothing that can't be changed spur of the moment depending on weather, what we feel like doing or the status of a nearly 2, 3 or 4 year old.

Every day we all share our favorite parts of the day. Highlights for all of us this trip included lunch with the Sesame Street Gang, A carriage ride in Colonial Williamsburg, Running through Colonial Williamsburg (Okay maybe everyone in the family didn't see this as a highlight but it was enjoyable!), Katherine and I riding "big girl" rides (ala things that spin and make me want to hurl), and Stephen's birthday dinner.

We spent 3 days in Colonial Williamsburg, 2 days at Busch Gardens and 1 day (few hours) at the outlets. I found a White House Black Market outlet store and thought I'd arrived in heaven. $115 later and I had 3 silk blouses, two pairs of pants, a pair of shoes, and a suit coat. *Yes I'm pretty proud of my finds!!!*

Stephen was excited by Katherine's interest in all of the historical buildings in Colonial Williamsburg. She wanted to visit all of the "flag buildings". I visited them once. The history doesn't change. I got it. ;) Stephen on the other hand could visit them every year. This year he had a partner to visit with and I was able to sit outside and enjoy the weather.

Busch Gardens was a bit different this year too. As Stephen says, we started the week with her on the little boats going in circles. We ended the week riding the tea cups back to back with her yelling, "This is sooooo fuuuuunnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!" (While I held onto the railing moaning ooohhhhh....) We went back to the Irish Dance Show at the park (twice) and again it was a huge hit for the family. Katherine loves the dancers and got very upset each time when the show ended.  She asked if she could bring them home. We  told her no. (You have to teach kids limits, ya know?!) I can't imagine what she or Stephen would think if they actually got to see a show like Lord of the Dance.

It was a great week filled with lots of super family time. Each year on this trip I fall in love with my family even more than I already am. I'm already looking forward to our trip next year and making more fun memories.

xo,
Darlene

Our pictures from the week...

Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Digital scrapbook made with Smilebox

No comments: