Thursday, January 19, 2012

Fun Things to Do

This week I've had a couple of moms ask about the things we find to do with Katherine. I'll admit to struggling and trying to come up with something interesting to do I have started researching things in advance of holidays, etc. so that I can start planning things to do. Nothing elaborate or expensive, just a little something to special to make an ordinary day a little special.  I thought I'd share some of the research I've done on upcoming holidays/things to do.


Cooking Class
This week Katherine and I went to a cooking class together. This is absolutely something that can be done at home. With just a little bit of planning you can have the same type of thing.  As I mentioned we made mini muffins and cheese quesadillas. In between making each thing we read a story and at the end read a story and sang a song. This kept all of the participants entertained and kept with the theme of the day. You can do this with one child or multiple, as long as you have some other Mommy/Daddy helpers. 


Chinese New Year
January 23rd is Chinese New Year.  The Year of the Dragon.  I thought it would be fun to have a little new years celebration. We've invited a friend over for some chinese food, a little story (that I bought on amazon) and we're going to make some kind of crafty thing.  I found two things online that have possibilities for the dragon.  



Valentine's Day
There are a couple of fun activities that I found.  One is a little mouse puppet made out of felt and another is a heart t-shirt. I was thinking even without the doily it could be fun to just do a t-shirt project.  There are pretty inexpensive fabric markers available at the big chain craft stores.  If you find a 40% or 50% off coupon you can get them at an even better price. I think I paid around $6 for mine. They've worked great for everything we've used them for so far. No washing issues and aren't that messy. 


Here are also some ideas for Valentine's Day cards. Be warned... If your'e on Katherine's valentine list you might be receiving one of these!! :) 

Fun Valentine's Day card idea

And if you're into baking here's a Valentine's Day cake. When I bake with Katherine I get everything prepped on the counter before calling her in. She then dumps everything into the bowl as I tell her and helps mix it. And yes... sometimes even eats the beater. 

PiDay
This is celebrated on 3/14. I hope you get it. :) We either make a pie or have the bakery make one (depending on schedule and time) and have a little Pi fun after dinner. 

Mardi Gras (February 21, 2012) 
Mardi Gras is celebrated on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, which kicks off Lent in many churches/religions. I'm thinking we might either make a King Cake or a friend has offered to ship one to us from Louisiana. (How cool is that?!) Part of the fun of the King Cake is finding the baby inside of the cake.  =) Here's a recipe for a King Cake

I think we'll also make some kind of creole dinner. Still looking for some yummy recipes there. I think I might look for something that can even go into the crockpot. =) 

I find it's helpful to put events on the calendar and set a reminder 4-5 days in advance so I can work on getting things together. And I rarely tell Katherine about the activity until the day of or just before we're about to do it. It saves a lot of "is todayyyyyy the day?!" 

Have fun!! 
xo
Darlene

No comments: