Saturday, June 4, 2011

43 Roofers Arrive!!!


Alright. So *maybe* there weren't 43 roofers. Maybe there were only 7. But I tell you, as I was laying in bed on Saturday morning I could have sworn there was far more than 7 people up there! And they were at a track meet: Complete with Sprints, Playing Javlin with shovels, and discus with hammers. Okay. Perhaps a *slight* exaggeration. Perhaps. ;)

On Friday our friends at Carolina Restoration asked if they could work on the roof on Saturday. Um, let me think about it - SURE!!! By the time we arrived home last night we had a drive way full of roofing and a giant dumpster. We knew, based on experience with some of the other houses on the street, the crew would arrive early. It's hot, so better to start the work early and get some of it done before the ridiculous heat gets too, well, ridiculous.

By around 7:30am we had gents on the roof preparing for their Track Meet. ;) As they were removing the tarps and old roofing we saw that there was more damage on the roof than we thought. Good news is, it's all fixed though! :) K was VERY excited that some of the blue band-aids were being removed. "Yayyy Mommy! They're making our house all better!!!" And they were.

When we decided to go out at around 4 it didn't seem as if the roof would be done in one day. Not to worry though, we had been told it would take 2-3 days to finish. When we arrived home at around 7:15 it was all done!!! Beautiful!!! Of course the pretty new roof did make us realize how much damage our siding has to it. One thing fixed makes another unfixed thing stand out. No worries though, that'll be fixed in time too! :)

While we were out we picked up some paint cards. We are debating whether to go with repainting the same colors in the dining room and Livingroom or whether to change. We have to paint our bedroom and the office too - and they've never been painted so we have some work to do. The last time we picked colors for the house was about 5 years ago and S had just had l@six. Seriously - about 3 hours before. It made choosing colors REALLY easy. :) This time we have a little more discussion taking place. He can see, and he's not drugged up from surgery. I'm thinking I want to go a little different... (okay painting one room partially green maybe more than a little different) and while he's not totally bought in, the good news is he hasn't totally vetoed it either. :)

In other news: For all of our friends & family out there: Apparently some smoke detectors are only designed to last 7 - 10 years. I had no idea. We got that news flash at 1:58am Saturday/Sunday. I swear I've never jumped out of bed so fast in my entire life. Might not ever do it again. We both went tearing through the house - Me yelling that I was getting K and S running to see where said fire might be. I yanked our sleeping child from her bed after turning the light on (not sure why I needed to do that?) and we ran down the steps to the door - where we waited to see if it was time to run out of the house OR whether all was well. My heart was racing, poor K was confused and by now the alarm had stopped. WTC? S finishes checking out the house and everything appeared to be fine. We all head back to bed... Well, first I stopped in the rest room. I'll admit, I *might* have *almost* peed myself in fear. Don't judge. :) On a side note, realizing that the clothes on our backs might have been the only things we had left made me realize that perhaps we should invest in some new PJs. Just sayin'.

We are back in bed by 2:06am. By 2:24 we receive our next "wake up call". This proceeds every 15-20 minutes until 4:00am. At 4am we get a reprieve until around 6:30 when the last call of the morning occurs. It's now 1:27pm on Sunday and we haven't had one since. Thankfully. During these un-restful hours K and I perfected our ability to be scared out of our wits and fall back to sleep. S on the other hand... did not. Our Knight stayed awake to watch over or us (or because he couldn't go back to sleep - we're going with the former because it sounds more chivalrous). By 9:00am he said, "I'm now an expert on smoke detectors." Okey dokey... So what's our issue? He explained that smoke detectors last, based on his research, about 7-10 years. On June 29th we will have been in our house 7 years. They were made in '03. (For those not so hot with math - that would mean they're 8 years old ;)) Super. So we have to replace them? Maybe. If so, we'll likely need to replace the whole thing because they don't make the model we have anymore. Awe-some. Okay, what else can be wrong with them? Bugs? Mmmmhhhmm. Bug stuck up inside and causing it to go off. This is a reason for them to be going off at night, so the web says, because of bugs being more active at night than during the day. Awesome. Another not hot prospect, but I have an exterminator. I'll call my friend Chris. He'll come take care of bugs for me. What else ya got? Third possibility: dust. Dust in the little pieces causing it to go off randomly. Another reasonable option given the volume of hammering and such that went on yesterday. Loosened some dust, no doubt. I did spend the whole day cleaning the house, but I didn't clean the insides of the smoke detectors. I know. Slacker, right?!

So today's activity (at least prior to bed) will be to clean the insides of the smoke detectors. Good times. And here I thought our drama for June was over when I had to go to urgent care last week. S'pose not.

While I don't have pictures of our dramatic 2am fire drill scene (trust me you should be grateful!!!) I do have pictures of our roof repair. Enjoy. Really. It's really titillating viewing. ;)

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Another free photo slideshow by Smilebox