Sunday, May 8, 2011

3 week update...

Yesterday marked three weeks since the Tornado came down Serendipity Drive. As I worked outside with Katherine along side of me, it warmed my heart to see her and her friend (neighbor) playing outside. The last few weeks one of the things that's made me sad has been the fact that there haven't been any kids playing outside. Usually you can hear them laughing, yelling (happy), and just general kid sounds. (Bikes, scooters, racing, etc) Given that we haven't had our sidewalks clear for them to play on, that wasn't possible. Add in, that most of the families on the street have temporarily relocated to an apartment or house until their homes are fixed = Quiet. Saturday, we had some kid noise. It was muffled somewhat by me shop-vacing the lawn, but they were out there playing. Progress. I like it.

One of the reasons they were able to go outside to play was due to the work that occurred last week with debris clean up (thanks again to our neighbors & the volunteers). Not only did that debris get picked up but all of the yard debris that Stephen and a crew of folks piled up (3 Leland Cypress trees + other stuff) in front of our house, was also picked up this week. YEAH!!! A big truck with a crane like thing on it came by and picked it all up in three swoops. Impressive stuff.

Thursday we had a couple of contractors come to our house to estimate the repairs. We anticipate getting their "reports" this week and will compare that to what the insurance adjuster submitted. Also heard from them this week. We have the first round of things approved, but there's more documentation needed for some other parts to get approved. Specifically the HVAC. The one thing we REALLY need to get fixed, pretty quickly. Raleigh, North Carolina summers are not known to be forgiving. I didn't think people inhabited the south until air conditioners were invented. And if they did, people were fanning them. I've asked Stephen to do this, and he said some things back that I don't think I should repeat. ;)

A few nights last week we spent time doing various tasks in the yard. One night two friends came over to help re-bag yard waste that the city wouldn't remove unless it was in clear bags. Without their help that task would have taken us hours to complete. With their help... Little over 30 minutes. THANKS Jesse & Jeremy!!

Friday we thought it would be fun to get the neighbors together. We had a little "Seis de Mayo" party at our house. Little taco salad, some amazing nachos prepared by our neighbor, salsa brought by another neighbor and beverages brought by everyone!! It was fun and allowed us all to catch up on what's been going on.

One of the discussion topics was contractors. Particularly a contractor that came through our neighborhood the day after the tornado and subsequent days trying to get everyone to sign with him. When he came to our house he told me that he had signed "all of your neighbors. You're the ONLY ONE who hasn't signed." And he tried to tell me that if I didn't get a contractor soon, I wouldn't be able to get one. He went further to say that I should have a contractor hired before the insurance adjuster was scheduled to come out. He was trying to scare me. S came to my rescue and told him to buzz off. By that time he had already convinced 3 neighbors to sign with him. On Friday he was arrested for stealing from a charity organization that was here to help us. (Samaritan's Purse) See news article below.

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/9563223/

I'm feel awful for the three families that signed contracts with him. In my head I can't comprehend trying to take advantage of people who are in an already distressed position. He used tactics that were just downright disgusting to play on the minds (and hearts) of those here. The thing he got arrested for wasn't half of what he's done. I really hope that charges are pressed and further investigation is done. It's not my story to tell, which is why I'm refraining, but I share the news story to caution everyone in the Raleigh area to beware of this business.

Today was a family day at home. Despite a little drama over losing something (entirely my fault although I do admit I cast some blame elsewhere ;)) all was better once it was located a few hours later. I even managed to get in a good bike ride with my best girl. She only yelled a few times to go faster. One of those times being when I had to get off the bike to walk it up a hill. Seriously. Almost died. I didn't realize I had it in the wrong gear and almost fell off of it half way up the hill. Realized it was in the wrong gear when I got back ON the bike at the top of the hill. The whole rest of the way up (about a minute) all I heard was Mommy, why aren't you riding the bike?! A few cars passed me giggling. I waved and smiled. As if it was all part of my plan. We also devised a new game. Katherine yells ONE TWO THREE WEEEEEEEEE and at the point of yelling WEEEEEE I'm to spread my legs in a V, taking them off the pedals and yell WEEEEEE with her. I'll admit. I liked it. More than I probably should have. We did that a lot. And she had NO forgiveness whether it was a hill going up, down, flat, or otherwise. Made for an interesting ride. Can't wait to do it again. ;)

I know I say it with each blog, but I continue to think it bears repeating. We're so grateful for the support that has been given. The cards we've received. The notes of encouragement, offers for help and gifts to help us with damages and replacing things. We've already used some of the gift cards and have plans for most of the others. The cash we're using for the out of pocket expenses that insurance doesn't cover. It's all so very much appreciated. Thank you doesn't seem like enough, but they're the only words I can think of right now.

I hope all of the Mommy readers had a fantastic Mother's Day. With my favorite people around me, how could I have anything but a good mother's day. It took quite a while today for K to wish me a Happy Mother's Day... but once she did, it was oh so sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdHqa1vWYrg

Love,
Dar, Stephen & KK
xo

No comments: