Friday, April 29, 2011

Funny Things

With all the Tornado stuff swirling about around us (pun intended), I thought I'd take a break from that and share some of what I thought were funny moments from today. Some of these may only be funny to me, but a few continue to make me laugh, and since it's my blog... I get to do what I want. :)

As I'm driving into the daycare parking lot today I see a Dad driving out. He's got a little cup in his hand. It's got a swirly straw and it's a little plastic cup. He's drinking from it. Morning coffee?? Made me laugh, and I thought it was cute at the same time.

We went to Whole Foods for dinner tonight. It's becoming my Wegmans of the South. I have a yogurt parfait for dinner, K has some pizza and Stephen has some sushi. We dig it. K tells me about 15 minutes into dinner that she has to go potty. I take her down to the bathrooms and as we're washing her hands she sees cheerios in the sink. No idea how they got there. She says, Mommy, did Daddy put them there? No. He didn't. She's started this new thing where she likes to say how either S or I do something - particularly if it's a "no-no". It's never her. I tell her that Daddy doesn't do everything, despite what she thinks. There's a woman standing behind us, apparently listening to our conversation, who says, "Did Daddy also put your shoes on backwards?" Oops. And the lady called me OUT! Nice!! I wonder if she was like that all day?? (that would have been my fault.) Still laughing about this. She left the restroom with them still on backwards. She kept them this way until she changed for bed.

S is looking at the weather for the weekend. He says "it's going to get cool tonight!" I say - great! Maybe we'll get a breeze through the windows! He looks at me confused. I say, what?! Apparently the breeze would be great if it could get through the tarp, boarded windows and plastic. Ohhh, yeah. Forgot about that. Big blue tarp all over half of the house. Duh!!!

Katherine is in the bathroom (again). She's got the door closed. We hear her screaming MOMMY DADDY!!!!!!! We think she's done going potty and needs help. Stephen starts heading to the bathroom and we understand what she's yelling a little better... "IT'S A SPIDER IT'S A SPIDER!!!" She was too scared to poop because there was a spider. It was a teeny tiny spider that we're not even sure how she saw it. Couldn't poop. It was staring at her.

I'm sitting with K in her bedroom and we're singing songs as we rock in the rocking chair. Normal nightly routine stuff. She starts playing with my earring. She wants me to look at it. She keeps turning my head saying look Mommy look... And didn't understand why my eyes couldn't look at my ear. ;)

A Tornado news update:
We had a structural engineer come to our house today to do an inspection. We *thought* that everything was okay, but wanted to ensure that it was. Really - why risk it? The engineer said everything was fine. *Whew* Big relief. I mean BIG. I have been stressed since we got home that there's something wrong that we don't know about. Something we can't see. I feel better now.

Last night we found out that the city will not be assisting with debris removal. I don't claim to be smart enough to understand why the City won't help - but alas, they won't. We'll be on our own to do our clean up. We're thinking of renting a dumpster to put all of the debris in. If we do, Raleigh folks, we'll be seeking volunteers. One to put stuff into the dumpster so that we can clean up and another group to help clean up the yard of the smaller pieces of glass, insulation, roof shingles, siding, etc. We're thinking of using a shop-vac to pick up the smaller pieces. It can suck up bowling balls, why can't it suck up this stuff? :) I'll let you know when we're forming our work crew, if you're interested. :)

Tonight I ask that you say some prayers for the people in Alabama. I can't imagine what they're going through right now. Truly. We look at our little block and had thought that this was pretty devastating, but there are whole neighborhoods/cities that look like our block. The funnel was so large. So many lost their lives. They need all of the good thoughts and prayers we can send them.

Love from the Alekzas!
Stephen, Darlene & KK

No comments: