Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sushi, See you soon & Alone w/Daddy time!


It seems silly to say it's been a busy few weeks. Right?! If I were bored, laying around the house, wondering what to do with myself I would have blogged sooner... right?! :)

Some of the bigger events of the last couple of weeks:
- Mommy left Daddy & Katherine alone for the first time overnight. (EEEEEEKKKK for Mommy)
- Katherine ate cinnamon apple "puffs" for the first time
- Mommy left Daddy & Katherine alone for the second time for a whole day (into the night) - again eeeeeeekkkkk for Mommy
- Katherine is standing up, while holding onto something, by herself. An occasional fall on her behind happens.
- Katherine ate a piece of plain donut, a cheese ravioli, garlic bread, a black bean, dorito (don't ask), grapefruit and pizza for the first time.

So how did it happen that I left Stephen and Katherine alone for the first time? A client. A big client. I flew out at 6am on 2/16 (Monday) and arrived back home at 11:30am on 2/17 and even though I wanted to go straight to daycare and pick up Katherine so we could go play... I had to go to a 5 hour meeting. Ick. Being a grown up isn't what it's cracked up to be! I even took our webcam and had tested out two computers to make sure that I could see my Nugget before she went to bed and I went to dinner with the client's consultants. I called and called, texted and texed, instant messaged, etc... But alas, Stephen and Katherine didn't get home in time for me to say goodnight. :( It was a very very sad night for me. The first day I went without seeing my little girl. If I said I didn't cry - I'd be fibbing. I was very sad.

I made it through the night and to the next day when I went to pick Katherine up from daycare. She might have been a little mad at me, but she got over it pretty quickly. Thankfully. :)

Last weekend Nicole came over to spend the day with us. Stephen and Nikki wanted to have sushi for dinner. We didn't have sushi ingredients just laying around the house so we needed to go shopping. And where do you shop for sushi ingredients? The Asian grocery store!! Silly!! No one who works in the store speaks English. Or at least no one we could find. Stephen even had some of the ingredients written on a piece of paper in Chinese I think it was... The man looked at him, and the paper and said "no English". So I guess he did know two words. We found most of the ingredients there but Stephen cracked under the pressure of picking sushi grade fish in the fish department where no one spoke English so we headed to Whole Foods. We say this every time we go there, but really, we love that store. Everyone is so nice, helpful and everything there is so fresh!! It was in Whole Foods that Katherine had her first piece of grapefruit. And her second. Nikki thought I was subjecting her to cruel and unusual punishment but a few weeks ago, by chance, we found out that Katherine liked the taste of lemon. I think I had some on my fingers and she bit on my finger, tasted it and then went crazy chewing. So I put a little more on my finger and gave it to her again and she loved it!! She apparently likes sour things. The grapefruit was a HUGE hit. When the first piece started to get a little too squished and was nearing prime choking chunkability I took it away. She screamed! She was NOT pleased. So she was given her 2nd piece of grapefruit. Who would have thought?! Grapefruit eaten, cookie selected (I needed something to eat) and fish purchased, we were on our way home.

Stephen and Nikki then spent the next 2 hours making sushi. I was in charge of peeling the cucumber and slicing it "julian" style... (you know little matchbox like pieces) and making wasabi. All I know about that is that it can't be watery. I think I did well. (See pictures in this week's installment. :)) hehe

While it was a fun day for all, it was also a sad day. Nikki was visiting before leaving to head to Taji, Iraq. When I asked my dear little sister where Taji was she shrugged her shoulders and said, "I don't know." Huh. I think she fibbed. I looked up this Taji place on-line and I must say I'm not pleased. But I take comfort in the fact that she promised she would be safe. (Nikki, I'm holding you to that promise!!!) Poor Mysty (alaskan husky) is heading to FL for another summer. EEEEEKKK We know Tootsie and Pop take very good care of her and she loves it there... but even I melt with the FL heat. :P

My 2nd trip away from my loves came this past week. Head bossman made a request for me and one of my friends (and co-workers) to fly to Chicago for the day. We left again early in the morning, but I was home that night by 9pm. Katherine was in bed by then but at least I was home to peek in on her and get her from her crib the next morning. She was pretty happy to see me. :) I think, anyway!

Katherine is still trying to crawl but hasn't quite gotten the hang of it yet. She gets up on all fours and now is starting to go backwards, which as I recall, is often how it starts. She gets pretty mad when she can't "go". Then falls down onto her belly and rolls to where ever she wants to go. And she's QUICK!!! I moved her 4 times from one area that she kept getting into, that she shouldn't be. By the 3rd time she saw me coming and knew she wasn't supposed to be there. She kicked and squealed - You might have had to be there but it was amusing. As if she looked up and thought "oh poop!! I'm in trouble!!"

Standing is a new thing in the last few weeks. Well, standing on her own. She's been standing since she was a couple months old but now she stands and holds onto the table or loveseat. She can't quite shuffle along the side but she tries. When she does she usually falls over. We get back up, she yells at the table as if to say - why'd you do that - and hangs out again for a few minutes.

This weekend we experienced our first round of pink-eye. At least we think it was pink eye. When we called the pediatrician's office yesterday they asked a few questions and called in a prescription for us. Today (Sunday) her eyes are much better. No redness, no goop, no rubbing. Yay!! We survived. All of us. Now let's hope Stephen and I don't get it!

Nicole left for Taji yesterday and for those that don't know, she's arrived in Qatar today. She'll be there for a day or two before heading to Iraq. 6 months from now she'll be home.

Picture Update:

http://picasaweb.google.com/daleksza/SushiAuntNikkiSGoodbye#

No comments: