Friday, December 19, 2008

Our Christmas Responsibility

We all know that Christmas isn't (really) about presents and Santa. As a parent, I feel like it's our (Stephen and my) responsibility to ensure Katherine knows what Christmas truly represents. Not the holiday hustle and bustle. Not presents. Not cookies or reindeer... but something more important than that. I'm sure we're not the first parents to feel this responsibility.

Most, if not all of you, know that we are Orthodox Catholic. That means, that Christmas isn't celebrated on the 25th. We celebrate on the 7th. So this last week I've wondered a lot about how to explain, to Katherine, the difference between the 25th and the 7th Christmas'. In reality there's no difference except one is on the 25th and the other is on the 7th... Difference in Gregorian versus Julian calendars. The holiday, what it represents, etc. is all the same.

I can't ignore the obvious either... Santa is out there. I see him in every mall, major store, heck, Katherine even had her picture taken with him twice this year. So how do you explain that Santa does not come on December 25th for us... and he won't!!! Santa comes on January 7th for us. And that's the way I want to keep it. There are some traditions we're not willing to give up - this is one of them.

So my pondering continues... When we're in PA for the holiday I hope to chat with some of the other parents at church and see what they say. I'm thinking of calling Fr Rebek too. He's sure to have some thoughts! :)

No comments: