Tuesday, November 11, 2008

5 months old & Suspended from School


Katherine is officially five months old today!! Yay!!! And yesterday, she was suspended from school for the first time. Okay. Maybe not "suspended" but I had to go pick her up because the principal (aka Director) called and said come get your daughter. Why? Fever. Her teacher said she had a fever of 101. When I arrived to pick her up she was napping. Her teacher said she was acting unusual all day. I asked how so and she said her personality totally changed. Really? Why? "Because she was quiet." YIKES!!!! Is my daughter known as the big mouth? Um. Apparently, yes. Yes, she is.


So I packed her up and we came home. By the time we got home it was 99.8. I'll remind you of the hospital/fever incident that resulted in 102 fever at home, at the hospital: 99. So I feel for Miss Shawn. I think Katherine has some Tibetan Monk in her. (See link below.)




By this morning she had a normal temp. But alas, school rules are no daycare until you've been fever free for 24 hours. While I appreciate this as a parent and am glad they enforce it to help alleviate sick kids in school I say... So help me understand then how Katherine's been sick since she started daycare? And poor Stephen's been sick since (as he says) two weeks before we left on vacation. Which coincidentally matches up to when Katherine started daycare. Curious I say, curious. So today I worked from home and took care of little miss. She was quite helpful on my conference calls (she gave her opinions on a few of them) and helped me type some emails while sitting on my lap. She likes holding the CTRL key down which I'm sure you know "controls" all sorts of short cuts. Needless to say there were some situations I had no idea I could get myself into, and as a matter of fact, I didn't get myself into them. My 5 month old daughter did. She's computer savvy already!! And I again said, where's the Mensa application?


Another major event of last week was Katherine rolled over for the first time. The night before we agreed that she was very close. We said within a week. Ok, a week, 24 hours... we could just tell it was getting closer! So for this very momentous, monumental, oh my goodness event who saw it? No one. Katherine was laying on the floor on her back playing while I turned my back to get her laundry out of the dryer. I come back 30 seconds later and she's on her belly. I screamed and RAN for the camera. Stephen, was sitting on the sofa saying "what?" as I screamed running SHE ROLLED OVER!!!! She did it. She actually rolled over. I took three all important pictures before unpinning her arm that was inconveniently stuck under her. She hasn't quite figured out how to roll over without an arm stuck. Then I willed her for the next 45 minutes BEGGING her to roll over. Did she you ask? No. No, no no!!!! But I knew she could. So the next night we tried again. Do it do it do it I begged. Did she? No. Saturday was my day. In my head I thought I might hear music the first time I SAW her do it. Queue the Hallmark music for our moment. Someone must have forgotten the CD. There wasn't any music, but there were 2 huge grins... mine in a proud Mommy moment and hers, until she realized she was on her belly.


Katherine's menu has expanded!!! She really likes oatmeal with bananas but the real winner so far is carrots. She does cheers for carrots! Ever since she started eating some food she's rather disinterested in bottles. Never the less, bottles will continue for at least another 7 months. Next up... I think we might try PEAS!!!! (And of course we'll have to wear the bib Aunt RoRo bought that says "Give Peas a Chance")



(This link also includes the I JUST ROLLED OVER pictures.) :)


Katherine has increased the chatting she does. Um. It's really more like yelling now. She's loud. Very loud. As I mentioned previously, her teachers knew she was sick because "she was quiet". Yikes. My daughter is known as a big mouth, already. *sigh* What have I done??? She's so loud sometimes you can't hear your own thoughts. Last night she and I were having a little Mommy & Me time (translation, she was yelling and I was telling her stories) and she was so loud Stephen couldn't hear the TV. He reverted to closed captioning the TV so he could get through the 15 minutes of TV he'd been trying to watch for 45 minutes. Oh me, oh my. It's just a phase, right?! Will Stephen be forever more required to "read" his TV shows???


We think she might be getting a tooth. But then, we might be overreacting first time parents. She's drooling like CRAZY!! And she's putting everything in her mouth including her hands (which are illegal). Hands may NOT go in the mouth. Ug. I'm wondering however if the pacifier will really be taken away at 6 months. I'm already (one month till D-day) thinking I don't think I'm ready for that. :P The person who said to take it away at 6 months was one of the (cranky, mean, dreadful, add a few more adjectives here) lactation consultants. Harrumph. AND, Stephen's threatening to unswaddle her. I'm not so sure I'm ready for that either. She's going to wake up 100 times a night. I'm scared!!! Can't she stay swaddled until she heads off to college? Then her roommate will have to deal with it. I think that's the best idea I've had all day. I'm sure Dr Karp will help us. Apparently there's a chapter in his book dedicated to the weaning off swaddling. I do so love Dr Karp. He's our hero. Well he and the inventor of the Kiddopotomus swaddleme blankets.


OH MY, and I almost forgot. Katherine brought home her first piece of artwork. Impressive. I am so fond of it I posted it to her own little art website. http://www.artsonia.com/ - She is Katherine1242. If you like you can sign up for her fanclub. :) The girl's got MAD skills. Just look how she stayed right in the center, nearly all within the lines. That tells me she'll be focused when she's older. Occasionally show a "crazy side" (noted by the two marks outside the lines) but otherwise a sweet centered girl. :) Mommy/Art Interpreter. Just take me to the art museum. I'll tell you what it all means!!! hehe


Yup, I'm a silly Mom! I LOVE LOVE LOVE being a Mommy!!!

1 comment:

Jacki said...

She's sooooo cute!!! and yes ur a very silly mommy! lol. I can't wait to come! 14 more days! yayyyyyy =)