Thursday, September 18, 2008

The next Gerber baby


I know what you're thinking. Every parent thinks their child is the next Gerber baby. Maybe. But in this case it's true. Just look at her!! Isn't she the cutest baby eva?! Her onesie says it all "Hug Me".

If you come just for the pics here they are right at the beginning: http://picasaweb.google.com/daleksza/Smiley#

So there have been multiple firsts in the last couple of days. I had full intentions on posting last night but as I'm learning... You can't always do all the things you plan!! Baby has other ideas for you!!

Last night for the first time she had two (yes two) giggles. She's been smiling and trying to get the sound out for the last few weeks. Last night as I was changing her into her PJs I was kissing her neck and she giggled. I looked at Stephen and said -- did you hear that!!!??? (He of course like a good dad/husband said YES... whether he did or not - no idea! :)) So I played again and she did it again. All day today I've been trying to get her to do it again. No giggles. But lots of smiles. I'm trying though!!

The other big event was taking a trip to her daycare. Yes, that time is upon us. Monday. Three short days away. I will not be able to take mid-day pictures of my little nugget. :( We will all have to get by on what we can get at night or on weekends. Seems blasphemous doesn't it?? But alas.... a paycheck is a good thing so I will do my part for the greater good (spend) of the Aleksza household. :) I'm looking forward to the work challenges again (my brains gone a little soft) but not to leaving the Nugget. Her "teachers" are very very nice. Ms Shawn, Ms Lisa and Ms Donna. Ms Shawn is there from 9-5 and Ms Lisa is there from 7-3 and and Ms Donna is with her from 3-6. So today Stephen, Katherine and I made the trip in to ask our questions (Katherine had a few of her own for her "classmates") and make sure we were ready for Monday. They were very patient in answering our questions and both even took time to hold Katherine while we were there. She seemed to like them a lot too. I am looking forward to her being able to interact with other babies/kids. She seems a little anti-social right now with other people her size. She doesn't even like the baby in the mirror so much. (More genetics?? We hope not.)

Ms Shawn and Ms Lisa said that she will have three turns of tummy time a day - 15 minutes each. I told them how she really isn't so much a fan and they said "they never are". hehehe There were two babies there today that had been sitting at first and both ended up on their bellies playing. I was playing with them saying look at you on your belly... One of the teachers said that just the day before the little boy hated tummy time. :P Guess it's a force of who's will is greater. So far, Katherine's is greater in the fight between she and I. (definately Daddy's girl) They did tell me that Katherine will remember us. Whew.

We need to find our label maker tonight so we can start to label up her bottles. Every bottle has to have a label with her name and another one with the date on it. We'll have to go get some masking tape this weekend for the date labels. We want something that we can easily take off each night.

Tomorrow I'm going to take over some diapers, wipes, changes of clothes, socks and some bibs to put in her cubby. That way we don't have to schlep all that in on Monday when we drop her off and I'm traumatized. (Stephen's coming with me to make sure I don't high tail it out the door with her.) :)

I asked what kind of clothes they prefer she be dressed in and they said "easy ones". No clothes with zippers all the way up/down the body. They're a no go. As are clothes with buttons. I wouldn't punish them with a button outfit anyway. Yuck. I don't like them myself. The zipper ones I don't have an issue with so I'm glad they told me that. I think the only things she has that have zippers all the way up/down are her sleepers. If it's a one piece they prefer the ones that are snaps up/down and they don't mind pants. (Stephen's not a fan of pants... he likes the white onesie look... Thanks PW!!!) So Tootsie, Aunt Jacki and Aunt Nikki - (Katherine's clothes shoppers) if you're buying her clothes keep in mind - no zippers up/down the outfit or buttons. :)) (And as a side note, my opinion is buttons should be outlawed on all baby clothing period. What a pain in the behind!)

We (okay I) also asked them to NOT tell me if she's had a first. I don't want to know if she has it there first. They said they wouldn't tell us. :) If Stephen wants to know he can ask but I don't want to know. I want to see it myself for the first time versus thinking... HEY, you did it for them... what about US!!?? (As if she'll understand my logic.)

They also told me I could call when ever I like to check on her and/or stop in to see her. I don't think I'll be doing too much of the stopping in. I think it'll be harder for me to leave her - Again!! I probably will call though. I want to make sure she's not in melt down mode.

In other news... I forgot to mention last week that I went to the dentist. Ah, Dr Urlaub. Our witty dentist. He does make me laugh so.... usually while he's got his hand in my mouth too. I digress - While I was there I asked him about when we should bring Katherine in for her first check up. His recommendation was at 3 years old unless her teeth start rotting. (Note witty dentist.) Rotting I say?? Yes, from sleeping with a bottle, not brushing her teeth, etc. (Note: Katherine will NOT be sleeping with her bottle and her teeth will be brushed.) I also asked about pacifier versus thumb/hand. Hands down the pacifier wins. I asked how long can she have it before it will affect her teeth. His recommendation was to take it away at 2.5 - 3yrs old. We were going to try to take it away earlier than that (6months) but we'll see. He said NO NO NO NO thumb sucking. We already had been discouraging that (pull hand out put paci in) so we're good there.

Oh -- yesterday I saw 3 VERY cute costumes for Katherine. (Don't worry Stephen they're still at the store... Katherine and I discussed and we decided you might not be too excited if I came home with another one that I paid R for.) There was a monkey (I call her that sometimes when she's trying to "climb" up my chest), a pumpkin and a chili pepper. hehehehe The pepper was really cute!! Thanks for the costume votes. Aunt Pat Snyder's vote was for a pumpkin and (modest) Aunt Jacki (see her comment) was all for the bee. :P

For those that have given comments (that haven't made me cry! :P) - I thank you. :) Keep up the good work!!

No comments: